Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Lots of recipes here for beef stew, but this is the way I make it.
Make and share this My Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 2 -3 potatoes, diced
- 1 turnip, diced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green beans (You can use canned if you like)
- 1 cup frozen lima beans (or canned if you like) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- In a large non-stick skillet, add beef in batches and brown well over high heat. Do not crowd beef pieces. Transfer to a large Dutch Oven.
- Saute onion and celery in skillet until soft. Add to dutch oven, and also add the garlic. (I prefer not to brown the garlic).
- Add dry onion soup mix, stewed tomatoes, water, bay leaves, and thyme. Simmer slowly for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs., or until meat is almost tender.
- Turn up heat and add carrots and potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add frozen beans and simmer 15 minutes more. (If you are using canned veges, drain and add right before serving.).
- Put 1/2 cup water in a jar or gravy shaker. Add flour and shake until smooth. Add to hot liquid, stirring constantly until thickened. Let it come to a boil and boil for at least 1 minute.