2 hrs 30 mins
Lots of recipes here for beef stew, but this is the way I make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 2 -3 potatoes, diced
- 1 turnip, diced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans (You can use canned if you like)
- 1 cup frozen lima beans (or canned if you like) (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1In a large non-stick skillet, add beef in batches and brown well over high heat. Do not crowd beef pieces. Transfer to a large Dutch Oven.
- 2Saute onion and celery in skillet until soft. Add to dutch oven, and also add the garlic. (I prefer not to brown the garlic).
- 3Add dry onion soup mix, stewed tomatoes, water, bay leaves, and thyme. Simmer slowly for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs., or until meat is almost tender.
- 4Turn up heat and add carrots and potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Add frozen beans and simmer 15 minutes more. (If you are using canned veges, drain and add right before serving.).
- 6Put 1/2 cup water in a jar or gravy shaker. Add flour and shake until smooth. Add to hot liquid, stirring constantly until thickened. Let it come to a boil and boil for at least 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (666 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 932.4
- Calories from Fat 508
- Total Fat 56.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 195.9 mg
- Sodium 1051.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 58.2 g