Recipe by Annacia
This is just as it says, my basic pot roast. It's not fancy but good and DH will eat it (which should tell you a lot right there!). Your more than welcome to add whatever you would like and make it your own family recipe.
- 1814.36 g rump roast
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour (or as much as needed)
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 9.85 ml salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 small onions, peeled sliced
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml barbecue sauce (your favorite)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- additional 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- additional 1/4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge the roast in 1/2 cup of flour. Heat the oil and brown the meat on all sides in Dutch oven, over medium heat, turning as each side is browned, and sprinkling with salt and pepper. This may take up to 20 minutes.
- Add the onions, 1/2 cup water, BBQ sauce, garlic, dry mustard, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cover pot tightly, and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours, or until a fork can be easily inserted into the roast. Turn occasionally, to cook evenly throughout. If cover does not fit tightly, you may have to add a a small amount of water during cooking to make sure it doesn't cook dry.
- When meat is done, remove it to a heated patter, and keep warm. Discard the bay leaf.
- Skim off fat from the broth with a spoon.
- Place pot again over low heat. In a small bowl mix 1 Tablespoon of flour and the 1/4 cup of water and stir until smooth then add to the pot.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Taste, add a little salt and pepper if needed. Serve over pot roast.