2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is just as it says, my basic pot roast. It's not fancy but good and DH will eat it (which should tell you a lot right there!). Your more than welcome to add whatever you would like and make it your own family recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1814.36 g rump roast
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour (or as much as needed)
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 9.85 ml salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 small onions, peeled sliced
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml barbecue sauce (your favorite)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- additional 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- additional 1/4 cup water
- 1Dredge the roast in 1/2 cup of flour. Heat the oil and brown the meat on all sides in Dutch oven, over medium heat, turning as each side is browned, and sprinkling with salt and pepper. This may take up to 20 minutes.
- 2Add the onions, 1/2 cup water, BBQ sauce, garlic, dry mustard, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 3Cover pot tightly, and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours, or until a fork can be easily inserted into the roast. Turn occasionally, to cook evenly throughout. If cover does not fit tightly, you may have to add a a small amount of water during cooking to make sure it doesn't cook dry.
- 4When meat is done, remove it to a heated patter, and keep warm. Discard the bay leaf.
- 5Skim off fat from the broth with a spoon.
- 6Place pot again over low heat. In a small bowl mix 1 Tablespoon of flour and the 1/4 cup of water and stir until smooth then add to the pot.
- 7Simmer, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Taste, add a little salt and pepper if needed. Serve over pot roast.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Basic Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.7
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 769.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 48.1 g