A pretty cake made with fresh apples. Perfect to serve with ice cream, custard, cream etc. Easy to make - no tricky instructions, so you can even let the little ones have a go or help out!
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas4. Grease and line the base of a loose based tin approximately 20cm.
- Cut the apples into quarters and remove the cores. Slice lengthways and toss in bowl of lemon juice.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add butter, eggs, sugar, sultanas and lemon zest. Beat for 4-5 mins until thoroughly mixed.
- Place mixture in the cake tin and carefully level the top. Dry off apples with kitchen towl or drain well and arrange slices in a pattern on the top of cake mix.
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes - until springy. Once cooked allow to stand for 5 mins then remove from tin and place on wire cooling rack.
- Serve as it is or lightly dust with icing sugar.