Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A pretty cake made with fresh apples. Perfect to serve with ice cream, custard, cream etc. Easy to make - no tricky instructions, so you can even let the little ones have a go or help out!
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas4. Grease and line the base of a loose based tin approximately 20cm.
- Cut the apples into quarters and remove the cores. Slice lengthways and toss in bowl of lemon juice.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add butter, eggs, sugar, sultanas and lemon zest. Beat for 4-5 mins until thoroughly mixed.
- Place mixture in the cake tin and carefully level the top. Dry off apples with kitchen towl or drain well and arrange slices in a pattern on the top of cake mix.
- Bake for around 30-35 minutes - until springy. Once cooked allow to stand for 5 mins then remove from tin and place on wire cooling rack.
- Serve as it is or lightly dust with icing sugar.
I made this 3X this wk..it was too tasty not to cut and gobble up..tomorrow is my dad in laws 65th bday@his wife asked me to make this (4 the 3rd time in 5days,Promise:) for him,the only change is instead of 125g of flour...etc,I made it 300g..it looks good but I hope it's tasty also as the first 2 that I made..my mom told me to make this for her&my dad this sunday (life in abroad is hard,we see each other only once a wk),we usually share recipes though she's a good cook than me:) my hubby&son,we all love this&I really thank u for sharing.
I would have taken a photo - but wasn't quick enough! Clear directions; only change was to add some ground all-spice and extra cinnamon. We all loved this and I'll certainly be making it again! Thanks!
I made this today. My only problem is it gets eaten so fast. (it's all gone!) I couldn't find any cooking apples so used braeburns and they were perfect for it. We had it with toffee ice cream.