Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
After researching SEVERAL recipes for this online and in cookbooks, this is what I came up with for "curry night" with friends
- 1 head cauliflower, fresh or
- 453.59 g cauliflower, frozen, defrosted
- 4 potatoes, yukon gold are nice
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 1.62 ml mustard seeds
- 14.79 ml cumin seed
- 1 green chili, seeded and minced (I used serrano)
- 1 large onion
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml ginger, grated
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml cumin powder
- 9.85 ml coriander powder
- 1.23 ml red chili powder (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 4.92 ml garam masala, added after dish is cooked
- If using fresh cauliflower, separate florets from the head, wash and drain.
- If using frozen, defrost in microwave for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1" cubes.
- Heat canola oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and fry until seeds begin to pop and cumin becomes fragrant.
- Next add your chilis, garlic and ginger, and fry for a minute until they become fragrant as well.
- Add potatoes, stir to coat with oil and then sprinkle over turmeric, cumin powder, coriander, and chili powder or caynenne if using.
- Stir to coat, cover pan and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are halfway done.
- Add cauliflower, sprinkle with a little more turmeric, and stir to coat with oil and spices.
- Add 1-3 tbsp of water, cover and cook another 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- When finished check for salt and add if needed.
- Sprinkle with garam masala to taste, and serve.
We parboiled our potatoes and cauli then went on with the recipe as written. We thought the spicing was just perfect and really enjoyed the dish.