As of date(14th Dec'02), this is my FAVOURITE salad. Reasons being: 1) Its so simple and easy to make, even a 10 year old could do it. 2) It's easy on the budget. 3) All the ingredients are always available, year round, plus, always ready on hand. 4) It does not require even a wee bit of salt; it's delicious as it is and salt is not missed at all. 5) Most importantly, from the health point of view, this salad is very nutritious and healthy to eat. When mixed with Saffron rice(recipe number 47592 by Sue L), it becomes a wonderful crunchy-munchy side dish, all by itself. I am head over heels crazy about this salad and I can eat this everyday, no fuss whatsoever:) I think this salad is just G-R-E-A-T!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons yellow lentils, washed and soaked in boiling hot water for 15 to 20 minutes (yellow moong dal)
- 1 teaspoon white lentils (white urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped (Use 2 if you like it more spicy)
- 2 cucumbers, chopped into real small pieces
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1Peel and grate a carrot and keep aside.
- 2Chop cucumbers (skin on) into very small cubes and keep aside.
- 3In the meantime, bring a little over half cup of water to a boil and soak the washed yellow lentils in the same.
- 4Simmer on low flame for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 5Now, squeeze out the excess water from the grated carrot and the chopped cucumbers by squeezing them in the palm of your hand tightly.
- 6Place the veggies in a large salad serving bowl.
- 7Now, heat oil in a frying pan over high flame.
- 8When hot, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle.
- 9Add the chopped green chilli and the white urad dal.
- 10Mix once.
- 11Add the drained yellow lentils and saute for 2 minutes on low-medium flame.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Toss the lentil mixture into the veggie mix.
- 14Mix well.
- 16Refrigerate and serve chilled.
- 17I enjoy this on its own as well as when I toss this into'Saffron Rice' (recipe number 47592).
- 18This also tastes really nice when mixed into yogurt and eaten.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My All-Time Favourite Nutritious Veggie Lentil Salad
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.8
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 2.0 g