Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
As of date(14th Dec'02), this is my FAVOURITE salad. Reasons being: 1) Its so simple and easy to make, even a 10 year old could do it. 2) It's easy on the budget. 3) All the ingredients are always available, year round, plus, always ready on hand. 4) It does not require even a wee bit of salt; it's delicious as it is and salt is not missed at all. 5) Most importantly, from the health point of view, this salad is very nutritious and healthy to eat. When mixed with Saffron rice(recipe number 47592 by Sue L), it becomes a wonderful crunchy-munchy side dish, all by itself. I am head over heels crazy about this salad and I can eat this everyday, no fuss whatsoever:) I think this salad is just G-R-E-A-T!
Top Review by Anu
This was pretty good, and like you said, you don't miss the salt! I didn't change anything int he recipe, and had this with chappatis for lunch, although I think it might taste better with curd rice. Thanks Charishma!
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons yellow lentils, washed and soaked in boiling hot water for 15 to 20 minutes (yellow moong dal)
- 1 teaspoon white lentils (white urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped (Use 2 if you like it more spicy)
- 2 cucumbers, chopped into real small pieces
- 2 teaspoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and grate a carrot and keep aside.
- Chop cucumbers (skin on) into very small cubes and keep aside.
- In the meantime, bring a little over half cup of water to a boil and soak the washed yellow lentils in the same.
- Simmer on low flame for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Now, squeeze out the excess water from the grated carrot and the chopped cucumbers by squeezing them in the palm of your hand tightly.
- Place the veggies in a large salad serving bowl.
- Now, heat oil in a frying pan over high flame.
- When hot, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add the chopped green chilli and the white urad dal.
- Mix once.
- Add the drained yellow lentils and saute for 2 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss the lentil mixture into the veggie mix.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
- I enjoy this on its own as well as when I toss this into'Saffron Rice' (recipe number 47592).
- This also tastes really nice when mixed into yogurt and eaten.