Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This delicious sweet potato dish is a huge hit at our family Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers. I can't go through my sister's door without this in hand. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Preparation time does not include the time to bake the sweet potatoes.
- 6 -8 sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups crushed corn flakes
- To cook the sweet potatoes, I bake them completely and then let them cool. This usually takes about an hour at 350 degrees.
- After they are cool enough to touch, I cut open the sweet potatoes and scoop out the insides. I scoop them right into the bowl for my mixer.
- Add the butter, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and evaporated milk and mix together.
- Cook in a 13 x 9 pan at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- For the topping I put the chopped pecans, cornflakes, brown sugar, and melted butter in a gallon size baggie. I close the baggie and mix the ingredients together. (This also crushes the cornflakes at the same time.).
- Pour the topping over the sweet potato mixture and bake at 400 degrees until bubbly. This usually takes 15-20 minutes.
A good dish. I cut down on the fat and sugar and it tasted fine. Thanks, Jan