Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple, quick and CHEAP... as a child, this was a weekly meal in our house. Due to the fact that we were totally BROKE this week, I decided to dig up an old favorite...lol. There IS no real recipe for this, however, I tried my best to type something concrete. Tasted just like mom used to make! Some things never change...
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) boxes macaroni and cheese mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- breadcrumbs, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cook macaroni and cheese according to package directions (I usually boil noodles for 6 minutes because casserole will bake a bit more in oven).
- I also add a little more milk to the mac and cheese so there is enough cheesy sauce to coat everything.
- After thoroughly mixing noodles with the cheese, add peas corn.
- Break the tuna up a bit with a fork so there aren't too many huge chunks and add it as well.
- Toss in half of the shredded cheese and mix well.
- Spoon into a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs to taste.
- Heat in oven for about 20-25 minutes.
I was so impressed by this dish. It was simple, cheap, but was really tasty, comforting food....My DH even said he wanted it again tonight, 2 days in a row....so i know it must be THAT good! i halved the amount and it still made plenty, enough for 4 large portions. Thanks kozmic blues. xx
This was good...Nothing fancy, or gourmet, just good ol' cheap yummy eats! Thanks for a flasback to MY childhood, also...are we related?!! :) I did leave out the corn, and added a little extra shredded cheese, and next time I will add more milk, as it was a little dry (I used about 2/3 c, so I think I will use a whole cup next time). Thanks for posting Kosmic Blues!