Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is the easiest and tastiest roast beef I've ever had. I've been making it for 20 years with great result. This recipe also has a recipe for what to do with the leftover roast beef which is my favorite part. It's simple and sometimes the simple things are the best, hope you enjoy! Cook and preparation time does not include leftover recipe..
- Place roast in dutch oven.
- Mix soup mix with one cup of hot water, stir to dissolve and then add the beef broth.
- Pour over roast-if a lot of the onions end up on top of the roast just scrape them off and into the broth.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place in oven for approximately 5 hours-depending on oven. Mine cooks it perfect at 5 hours. Flip roast over halfway through cooking.
- Remove from oven.
- Put 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter in skillet on medium high heat, Once melted and hot, add 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour and stir till it's a golden color. Add 1 cup of the broth from the roast pan and whisk, add addiional beef broth until desired consistentcy.
- I serve my roast with mashed potatoes with lots of pepper, which I make extra just for the leftovers, and corn -- YUMMY!
- I take the leftover roast beef and shred it in the pan I cooked it in keeping the leftover broth in the pan.
- Add the leftover mashed potatoes, leftover gravy, and add beef broth to desired consistency-make sure you have lots of broth because once you add the noodles you'll need the extra liquid. Bring to a boil and add Mrs Reames frozen noodles-amount of noodles will depend on how much meat you have leftover . Once it reboils, turn heat down and simmer for about an hour and a half. I don't add more seasoning to this but feel free to add what you like.