Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
found this pastry recipe in a Diabetic dessert cookbook
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup margarine (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons water
- oil, for deep fat frying
- Combine flour and baking powder in sifter.
- Sift twice.
- Pour into large bowl, pushing flour mixture up sides of bowl, and add sugar replacement, eggs and flavourings to the well in the centre.
- Push and work flour into egg mixture.
- Add cold margarine and work into crumbs.
- Add water only if needed to make smooth firm dough.
- Chill dough slightly.
- Roll out 1/2 inch thick on lightly floured board and cut into 2x1 inch rectangles.
- with sharp knife cut each rectangle lengthwise into small strips.
- Fry in hot fat in deep fryer til golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel to absorb excess oil.