Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from the Thursday magazine and bagged R.0. 20 for being picked as the winning recipe of the week from Dec 18-24'03. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1⁄2 kg mutton mince
- 2 large brinjal, sliced in circles
- 4 large ripe fresh tomatoes
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons fresh tomato puree
- Firstly, apply a pinch of salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder to the brinjal slices.
- Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Shallow fry the brinjal slices lightly and drain on clean paper towels.
- Keep aside.
- Next, heat oil in a large pot on high flame.
- Toss in green chillies and onions and stir-fry on medium flame until slightly browned.
- Toss in the tomatoes and cook them until they are softened.
- Then, stir in the ginger-garlic paste and fry it for a minute.
- After this, add the mutton mince and stir continuously until it is fried, making sure that no lumps are formed.
- Then add the powdered cinnamon, cloves, chilli powder, tomato puree, half the quantity of oregano and salt to the mince.
- Mix well and then, pour in a glass of water (2 cups).
- Allow it to cook until the mince is nearly dry but NOT completely dry.
- Now take a baking dish and grease it with a little oil.
- Then, line the bottom of the dish with half the fried brinjal slices.
- Then, on top of these brinjal slices, put the mutton mince.
- Then again, put a layer of the fried brinjal slices.
- Cover the topmost layer with the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle a little oregano neatly over the top of the cheese.
- Stand back and admire how pretty it looks for a minute.
- Then, cover the top of the baking dish with a foil.
- Keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Put the baking dish in it.
- Allow to bake for 30 minutes or until the water completely dries up in the dish.
- Remove the foil and let the cheese brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy this meal on its own to the fullest!
- Bon appetite!