Recipe by anodita singh
This is a really spicy meat recipe from Rajasthan in India. Made with 30 red chillies ! We love hot food but you can cut down on the chili. This one's been in our family for years. Slow cooking, but really good if you like hot curry
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 kg mutton
- 6 large onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 3 green cardamoms
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 3 (1 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 500 ml yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 30 dried red chilies
- hot water
- fresh coriander leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put yoghurt in a bowl, add all spice powders (chili, turmeric, coriander), 30 chillies and salt to taste.
- Let this sit until needed.
- Heat oil in large vessel.
- Add all dry spices.
- Slice onions thin and add to oil, stir and fry till dark brown.
- Add mutton.
- Roast this until the colour changes to dark and the oil separates from the meat.
- Add the yoghurt mixture.
- Once again, keep stirring this till the water dries up.
- Then pour in enough hot water to cover the meat in the vessel.
- Cover this and let cook till the meat is tender, stirring occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Alternately, if you use a pressure cooker, wait till the pressure starts building and then time.
- After 20 minutes your meat is done.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with boiled rice or Indian bread.