Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 -5 tablespoons light sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 medium head of cabbage, finely sliced and shredded
- 1 -2 jalapeno, fresh finely diced without seeds
- 3 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh shredded coconut
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place in a large skillet or wok the sesame oil, add the mustard seeds and cover for a couple minutes, the seeds will pop. Add all the remaining ingredients and sauté for about 10 minutes stirring every so often so it does not stick. If it starts to stick you may add a little bit of water or a little bit more of the sesame oil.
- The cabbage needs to remain “al dente” with a crunch, do not overcook. Taste and adjust salt to taste. Let it rest to develop a pretty yellow color from the turmeric for about 10-15 minutes and then serve hot or cold. You may prepare the night before, it keeps well and tastes even better the next day.
This was delicious! I couldn't find curry leaves, so I just left them out and it was fine. The flavors of the oil and spices along with the warm-but-still-crunchy cabbage was excellent. I served this with my "Monsoon Wedding" menu alongside chicken tikka masala, spiced basmati rice with peas, naan, and India Pale Ale. Thanks for sharing this recipe!