Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another favourite from the Two Fat Ladies - this one is a very special vegetarian food with incredible flavour. Try to find green mangos, or very very young ones - the recipe uses them because they are firm and have a tart flavour, ripe ones would give a different experience.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tomatoes, ripe, sliced
- 1 green mango, sliced (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 1 3⁄4 cups water (equal to coconut milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 10 fresh curry leaves or 15 dried curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 eggs, raw or hard boiled
- Fry the onion in a large pan until translucent.
- Add in the green chili, sliced tomatoes and green mango if using. Fry couple of minutes more.
- Pour in the coconut milk and the water, and bring to boil. Add tumeric, paprika, ground coriander and salt, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you're using fresh curry leaves rub them between your hands to release the flavour, dried ones can go straight in the pan. Add also the lemon juice and the fresh coriander, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- If you are using the eggs hard-boiled, add them to the sauce and heat through for 5 minutes. If you want eggs poached, break them gently into the mixture and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice and bread.