Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
from Dinosaur BBQ
Make and share this Mutha Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Pour oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapenos and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook til soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers, 10 minutes.
- Swirl in Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool.
- Pour into a container, cover, and store in refrigerator til ready to use.
- Variation: Hot BBQ Sauce.
- Add 2 or 3 seeded and minced habanero peppers (about 1 1/2 tsp to 1 tbsp) along witht he onions and pepers. Also add 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper along witht the other ingredients for extra punch.
I have never eaten at a Dinosaur BBQ restaurant, so I can't rate how well this compares, but I thought the sauce was good in its own right. I only made 1/2 the recipe and still have a pint jar left to use some other day. I used the sauce on Crock Pot Pulled Pork BBQ, but would really like to try this on chicken. The ingredients list is long, and I had to buy a couple of items I don't normally keep on hand (like molasses), but I'm glad I tried this recipe. Thanks princessmommie for sharing. Made for Pick a Chef, Fall 2011.