Recipe by Angela Sara
A Turkish variation on a much-loved Middle Eastern dish said to have been invented by the ladies of the Sultan's harem - to win his favours!From one of my favourite cookbooks The Complete Meze Table.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
I made this last night and it was great! I will note that it filled a 9" deep dish pie pan to the top, so if you are thinking about it as a dip, you should know that it makes a lot.
- 3 large aubergines (eggplants)
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, skinned and crushed
- 75 -100 ml tahini paste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 pinch paprika
- chopped mint
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grill the aubergines- under a medium heat first, then a high heat after about 7 mins, until well blackened and soft, about 20-25 mins.
- Remove the skin while holding under a cold tap, then gently squeeze to get rid of the juices.
- Blend the flesh in a processor.
- Add garlic and about 75mls tahina blend again.
- Add lemon juice, paprika and salt to taste, then whizz until very smooth.
- Now taste to see if you want to add any extra of the ingredients.
- Pour into a dish and drizzle the olive oil on the top and the chopped mint.
- Serve with pitta bread or sesame bread.