Prep 48 hrs
Cook 10 mins
They have a very nice bite.
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Cut butter into bits and in a food processor pulse with flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add Cheddar and pulse until mixture forms a dough.
- Form dough into a disk.
- Chill dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin roll out dough into a 16- by 4-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Trim edges of rectangle and lightly brush rectangle with water.
- Sprinkle rectangle with mustard seeds and remaining 2 teaspoons salt.
- Gently roll rolling pin over dough to make seeds and salt adhere.
- With a sharp long knife cut rectangle crosswise into roughly 1/3-inch-wide sticks.
- Transfer sticks with a spatula to baking sheet and arrange about 3/4 inch apart.
- Bake sticks in middle of oven until golden, about 10 minutes, and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Cheddar sticks may be kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week, or frozen 1 month.
- Makes about 45 sticks.