Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A mustard sauce recipe from an old New Zealand 'Edmonds' cookbook. Have been making this for many years.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup corned beef stock or 1 cup ham stock (that corned beef or ham has been cooked in)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Beat egg and sugar together.
- Add flour, mustard, pepper and salt.
- Stir in liquids gradually.
- Cook in saucepan over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Serve over hot sliced corned beef or hot ham.
Jen we really love this. I served with Kiwidutch Andria's Best Corned Beef/ Silverside on the Planet. Best Corned Beef/ Silverside on the Planet. and used the stock from the corn beef. Because the stock was quite strong in flavour I did increase the mustard powder to 2 teaspoons. Very yummy and a definite keeper for us! Thanks for posting :)
Thank you so much for adding this recipe, I have had my cookbook for long that I have lost this page and was heart broken thinking I would never use this recipe again. I have used it for years and thanks to you can use it for a lots more. I highly recommend this mustard sauce above all others :)
This is a New Zealand classic and it is fun to tweak it your own way but please note that the original recipe is always made with "MALT" vinegar here in NZ.