Recipe by JustJanS
I'm on a quest for rabbit recipes as they are readily available in Western Australia. Tis looks great though I haven't tried it.
- 1 rabbit
- 2 tablespoons flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 125 g bacon, diced
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (Parsley Stalks, Thyme, Bay Leaf)
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 125 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 250 ml cream (I would use low fat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180c.
- Cut rabbit into serving pieces; roll pieces in flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute rabbit along with the bacon until golden brown.
- Add chopped shallots and a bouquet garni; pour over white wine and stock, and cook in a moderate oven, covered, until rabbit is tender.
- Drain rabbit pieces; place them in a heated bowl and keep warm.
- Skim fat from the sauce; whisk Dijon mustard and English mustard thoroughly with fresh cream, and add to the sauce in the pan.
- Reduce until a sauce consistency if necessary.
- Correct seasoning, adding a little more mustard, salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add rabbit pieces; heat through and serve in the casserole.