1 hr 26 mins
My family's favourite variation of the east coast favourite. A great way to use all those huge cucumbers from your garden. Goes great with holiday dinners, meat and potatoes or as a relish on burgers. The recipe came from the Prince Edward Island Women's Institute Cookbook from the 70's.
My Private Note
pints ( ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart onion
- 2 quarts cucumbers
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 finely diced sweet red peppers (optional-but makes adds nice colour) (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1/2 cup mustard powder
- 1 quart vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1Peel and cut onions into medium sized pieces.
- 2Peel cucumbers, remove seeds and centres.
- 3Cut to desired size.
- 4If cucumbers are green and not too ripe, skin may be left on.
- 5Separate cauliflower into small flowerets.
- 6Dice red peppers.
- 7Make a brine to cover vegetables of 1/2 coarse salt to 1 quart water.
- 8Add a pinch of alum and let stand overnight (up to 24 hours).
- 9Then Drain vegetables and prepare sauce.
- 10Pickling bag: put spice in 3-4 layers of cheescloth and close tightly with string or a knot.
- 11set aside Boil 3 cups of the vinegar with 3 cups of the sugar and pickling spice bag for 1 minute.
- 12Remove pickling spice bag and throw out.
- 13Combine remaining sugar, remaining vinegar, flour, mustard powder, turmeric and celery seed and add to hot mixture.
- 14Cook sauce until thick, continually stirring with whisk.
- 15Add vegetables and cook slowly for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 16Be careful not to scorch.
- 17Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, while mixture is still hot.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mustard Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (4097 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.9
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 32.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 95.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: