Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is another family heirloom recipe I got from my family reunion recipe book. I haven't tried this yet but it sounds interesting and I thought someone here might like to try it. :)
- 1 small cauliflower
- 5 large cucumbers, peel, seed and dice small
- 4 large onions
- 2 red sweet peppers
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 quart pickling onions
- 7 cups white vinegar
- 7 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup keen's mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- Cut all vegetables into small pieces. Let stand in brine overnight - 1 cup salt to 8 cups water.
- Drain and rinse with cold water in the morning.
- Dressing: consisting of 7 cups white vinegar along with the next 7 ingredients following that is to be made after draining and rinsing vegetables the next morning). Here is how you prepare the dressing:
- Make syrup of sugar, vinegar, mustard seed and celery seed. Heat until sugar dissolves.
- Combine flour, mustard, turmeric thoroughly and add cold water.
- Add to syrup and bring to a boil over low heat. THEN - Add well drained vegetables and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Put into sterilized jars while hot.
- DO NOT cover pickles until thoroughly cooled.
- Unfortunately this recipe doesn't say how long it takes to make or how much this recipe makes. Hopefully anyone who decides to make this can include this important info. :). I just guessed in the amount section.