Prep 20 mins
Cook 48 hrs
If you dig pickled eggs, give these a try. The food coloring is optional..... it just gives a more dramatic deep yellow color. Cook time is chilling time.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced onion
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Place the peeled eggs in a non-metal bowl or jar.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together cider vinegar, sugar, onion, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and food coloring (if using it). Bring just to a simmer.
- Pour over the eggs and allow to cool.
- Cover and chill for at least 48 hours to allow flavor to develop.
Wow, these were so good! I've never had a pickled egg before, so I went into eating one with a bit of trepidation. No need! I loved a few bites straight out of the jar, but then I admit I decided to make egg salad with the rest because the flavors seemed to beg for it. With pickles, celery, and just a touch of mayo/mustard this made the best egg salad I've ever had. Thanks so much for posting! Made for ZWT 6.
This is like an inside out deviled egg! The color was quite bright - I added 4 drops of food coloring in it. I am, however, going to only be able to eat these at home. It was quite strong in the lunchroom at work!