Recipe by BrownSugarChef
I saw this on an episode of Tyler's Ultimate. Definitely a twist on mashed potatoes - you boil the potatoes in milk/cream instead of water, then use the liquid when mashing. Curious to see if this would work with buttermilk to save some calories. Can't wait to try it!
- 6 -8 yukon gold potatoes, skin on
- 2 garlic cloves
- whole milk
- heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub unpeeled potatoes, add to pot along with enough milk to cover potatoes halfway. Then add enough cream to completely cover the potatoes. Also add peeled/crushed garlic cloves and thyme. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
- When potatoes are done, drain them in a colander under which a large bowl has been placed. Place potatoes back into the cooking pot.
- Mash potatoes. Add cupfuls of the hot milk/cream as you mash, until you reach desired consistency. Add a pat of butter and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in two heaping tablespoons of course-grain mustard.
- Any leftover milk/cream can be used to "revive" your potatoes in case you end up with late dinner guests or if you have leftovers.