Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A tangy twist on everyday meatloaf. A perfect comfort food and not to bad in carbs. With the exception of the breadcrumbs, this could be low carb - only 10g per serving. If you want "legal" low carb, substitute Parmesan or Romano cheese for the breadcrumbs.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of preference)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons HP steak sauce (A-1 Sauce or Steaksauce of choice)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Crumble ground beef into large bowl.
- Combine milk, breadcrumbs (Parmesan or Romano cheese), salt and pepper in small bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in small skillet; add onion, sauté until soft and lightly browned; about 5 minutes.
- Add milk mixture, onions, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon of Steak sauce to the meat, mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into a shallow 8" x 8" baking dish, 9" round pan or loaf pan, smooth top with spatula.
- Spread remaining steak sauce over top.
- Bake at 350°F until cooked through, about 50 minutes, drain off fat.
- Serve in wedges or 1/2" slices; serve with a salad and extra mustard or steak sauce.
This has become my preferred meatloaf recipe. It is bursting with flavor. The only thing I change is to not add in the milk, because it makes it too wet to form into a loaf, and no amount of breadcrumbs can help. Without the milk, it is perfect!
Made this the other day. I substituted 1 cup herb stuffing mix (by Peppridge Farm)for the breadcrumbs. Had to add chopped mushrooms and 1/2 a green bell pepper (it wouldn't be meatloaf without them), used 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) yellow mustard. It was delicious. My daughter had meatloaves dancing in her head all night. By morning, she had to have some leftovers for breakfast! This became the new standard for our house. Thanks for a super recipe!!