Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Purchase herring fillets in wine sauce at a specialty shop or supermarket.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar herring fillets, in wine sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon prepared Swedish mustard or 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dried dill weed, crumbled
- Drain herring; place in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, salt, white pepper, and sugar.
- Use a whisk to gradually beat in oil until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Stir in dill.
- Pour over herring.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Note: Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.
Oh my goodness, I love this mustard herring. Delicious! So easy, too. Great flavor. Made for the Soup-A-Stars for ZWT9
So easy and so delicious. This was served as part of a Scandinavian buffet. The flavor was very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.