- 1 (16 ounce) jar herring fillets, in wine sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon prepared Swedish mustard or 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup dried dill weed, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain herring; place in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, salt, white pepper, and sugar.
- Use a whisk to gradually beat in oil until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Stir in dill.
- Pour over herring.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Note: Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.