Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is from a recipe card I got at the grocery store. It's a great fall dish for game days!
Make and share this Mustard-Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 fresh Italian sausages
- 6 bratwurst sandwich buns
- Slice the onion thinly and separate into rings. Core the apple and slice thinly. Mix mustard and oregano together. Prick sausages in several places with a fork.
- In a medium bowl toss the onions, apple, and olive oil. Fold a 36x18" sheet of heavy foil in half. Place onion/apple mixture on the foil. Fold edges together and crimp to seal.
- Heat the grill to medium heat (direct). Place foil packet on grill; close and grill for 10 minutes.
- Add sausages to the grill rack (leave the foil packet on). Brush with mustard mix. Grill 16-18 minutes, until no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with mustard mix.
- Serve sausages in the buns, topped with the onion/apple mixture.
We had really mixed feeling about this recipe.
I used a different sausage to one that I would usually use ( a supposedly healthier one!) unfortunately we really didn't like the flavour of it, but we are not marking the recipe down on that fact...we could imagine the mustard mixture on our usual sausages would have been great!
We weren't too keen on the apple/onion combination though...didn't really do it for us...but it is only personal preference...everyone else seems to love it!
Enjoyed this immensely! Wow, what a blast of summer tastes right here on a bun! The apple, the mustard, the oregano - just amazing! I opted to use the grill - since the heat in the east has been so profound. Will keep the recipe tucked in my left apron as this is one I will use often. Made for ZWT 6 2010
Very nice sandwich, huge in size. My husband enjoyed the onion, apple combo. I thought there was a little too much going, as it seemed to overpower the sausage at times. But, all in all it was a great sandwich.