Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Mustard Greens and Udon Noodles With Shiitake-Ginger Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch coins (2-inch piece)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mustard greens, cleaned, leaves trimmed from stalks, stalks discarded, and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14 ounces fresh udon noodles
- Bring 5 quarts water to boil in a big pot.
- Bring broth, vinegar, mirin, mushrooms, ginger, chili sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Simmer briskly until liquid thickens and reduces by half, 8-10 minutes.
- Off heat, remove ginger using a slotted spoon.
- Season broth with salt and pepper to taste and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon salt and greens to boiling water; cook until greens are almost tender, 2-4 minutes.
- Add in noodles, stir to separate, and cook until both greens and noodles are tender, about 2 minutes longer.
- Reserving ¼ cup noodle cooking water, drain noodles and greens, and return to pot.
- Add sauce and reserved cooking water to pot; cook over med-low heat, stirring to meld flavors, about 1 minute.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
- **If you cannot find fresh udon noodles, then use dry; add them to the pot of boiling water in step 6 first; cook for about 3minutes, then add the greens and continue cooking until both the noodles and greens are tender, another 2-3 minutes.