Recipe by Alisa Lea
This is a little different than the usual tomato type meatloaf glaze. I found the recipe in a cookbook I picked up at a garage sale called "Like Grandma Used To Make" and I tweaked it a little bit. I usually double the sauce.
Top Review by islandgirl77551
We really liked this meatloaf. It's very similar to my own recipe, except for the topping. I used green pepper instead of mushrooms. To suit my own tastes, next time I will use a little more mustard and less brown sugar. My kids ate meatloAf 2 days in a row and didn't complain about eating leftovers!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 12 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mushrooms or 1⁄3 cup sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Mix the ground beef, crackers, milk, onion, mushrooms or green pepper, parsley, salt, sage, black pepper and eggs. Shape the mixture into an 8x4 inch loaf and place in a shallow baking pan. (I have one of those 2 piece meatloaf pans where the grease drips to the bottom and I love it!).
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 170*F.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, lemon juice and mustard. Spread over the meatloaf and return to the oven for 10 minutes.