1 hr 5 mins
This is the classic American gingerbread-dark, moist, sharp flavored and not gummy! Serve it hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. From Rosie's All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenburg! Gingerbread was made in Germany, Scandinavia and England, and has been brought to America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sifted white flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger, plus
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup molasses, room temperature
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1Preheat your oven to 350*F. and lightly grease a 10" springform pan with veg. oil(or butter).
- 2Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, mustard powder and spices together into a medium bowl.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time to the butter mixture and mix on medium speed after each addition until the eggs are well blended but not smooth, 8 to 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl each time.
- 5Add the molasses with the mixer on medium low speed and mix for 5 seconds. The batter will look separated.
- 6Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter with the mixer on low speed and mix just until they have absorbed the liquid but are not thoroughly blended, about 10 seconds. Add half the coffee and fold it into the mixture with a rubber spatula.
- 7Add the remaining dry ingredients on medium low speed and blend until they are almost incorporated, 10 seconds. Pour in the remaining coffee, then fold in by hand with a rubber spatula. Turn the mixer to low speed and blend until the batter is smooth, about 5 seconds.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center oven rack until the top springs back to the touch and a tester inserted in the center comes out dry, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan before serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mustard Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.4
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.6 mg
- Sodium 252.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g