Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bon Appétit | September 2007 Healthy healthy healthy.
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
Kale and Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 bunch kale, stem cut from each leaf, leaves thinly sliced crosswise (about 8 cups)
- 1 small red-skinned sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (yam, about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cut tofu into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange on paper towels; drain 10 minutes. Spread both sides of each slice with mustard.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add kale, sweet potato, and lime juice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until potato is tender and kale is wilted, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cover and cook until heated through and crisp, about 2 minutes per side (some mustard seeds may fall off tofu).
- Arrange kale and sweet potato mixture on plate. Overlap tofu slices atop vegetables and serve.
This recipe was a lot of work - took more than 10 min. prep. The tofu had to be dried so the mustard would stick. The flavors didn't blend, so it was unsatisfying to us.
I was initially really unsure of mustard + lime + kale, but oh my gosh! This was so delicious! I used 2 sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup of lime juice to extend the meal. Thank you so very much.
I thought this was a great meal. My kids didn't like the kale, though. It might have been because i used lemon juice instead of lime (didn't have any). the tofu was great, i used deli style that has horseradish in it. i found i had to put the mustard on one side, cook it and then spread the mustard on the other side before i flipped it. definitely going to double it next time since there are 5 of us