Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a favorite when our family cooks BBQ brisket, potato salad and beans. Very creamy mustard dressing.
- 2 cups firmly packed shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup firmly packed shredded carrot (2 lg)
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, pepper, and green onions.
- For the dressing, in medium-size bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, and mustard seeds. Fold in sour cream.
- Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate slaw 1 hour before serving.
We really enjoyed this with our corned beef sandwiches. As written, there would have been too much dressing for our tastes, though. Rather than the 2 cups cabbage and 1 cup carrots called for, I used 6 cups slaw mix, but left all other ingredients the same. This ratio seemed right for us, and we really enjoyed the mustard flavor for a change. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
I am picky about cole slaw and am always on the hunt for good recipes. This one is great w/ a few modifications. GaylaJ is right you need 6 cups of cabbage to match the other ingredients. HnoPablo also is on the right track (all three, but it still remains about 50% fat calories). I used half the (olive) oil, but upped the sugar to 3 Tbls., used fat free sour cream, and eliminated the salt. I also added a 1.5 oz. box of raisins and 1/2 cup slivered almonds. This is definitely a keeper! Thanks, True Texas, for sharing.
Sounds really good but also like a LOT of fat! (82% of calories from fat. Really?) Maybe halve the oil? Replace some or all of the sour cream with Greek-style yogurt? Increase the veg-to-dressing ratio as suggested by GaylaJ? (All three?)