Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
You must use French’s yellow mustard
Top Review by hootiehoo2u
This was actually my first time to make mustard cole slaw, but it was very easy to make and I liked the fact that it had no mayo, so it has a longer shelf life in the refig. I served this with smoked pork at a public cityfest. I was covered up in requests for this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 1 (4 lb) cabbage
- 1 large green bell pepper, very finely minced
- 2 medium onions, very finely minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, shredded, and finely minced
- 4 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 -4 ounces french's yellow mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Frank's red hot sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Core the cabbage; cut cabbage into broad, round slices (about 1/3 inch thick); then chop crosswise so that you end up with a pile of chopped cabbage.
- Place the chopped cabbage in a large bowl and add the bell pepper, onions, carrots, celery seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Toss everything with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Add the mustard to another bowl; blend in the sugar and vinegar.
- Add the mustard mixture to the cabbage mixture; toss to blend well.
- Add the hot sauce to taste; adjust seasoning.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator for as long as a week.