- 1⁄2 cup dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl stir together the mustard, the vinegar, the sugar, the salt, and 3 tablespoons water, making a smooth paste, and let the mixture stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water and whisk in the butter until it is just melted and incorporated thoroughly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chives. Transfer the sauce to a sauce boat and serve it warm or at room temperature.