Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
the best damn catfish you'll ever make - from the Mustard Museum
- 2 lbs catfish
- 12 ounces yellow mustard
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- canola oil or peanut oil
- THE DAY BEFORE - combine the mustard with egg and add the catfish.
- Cover and marinate overnight.
- The next day, place enough oil in an 8 quart saucepan or dutch oven (or fryer) to hold the catfish fillets in two batches (up to eight cups of oil).
- Heat oil to 360 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients and spices together.
- Roll the catfish fillets in the dry mix.
- Shake off the excess and fry about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot.