Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love this hearty sauce, both as a marinade for baked chicken or as a basting sauce for grilling, or marinate then baste & grill for a whole lot of flavor! It's sweet, smoky, tangy, and a little spicy... Cook time only includes cooking time for the sauce itself; actual cooking time depends on the method used.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup ballpark prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a heavy saucepan, combine mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and beer.
- Season with chili powder, black pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat (do not boil-- the sugar will scorch).
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire Sauce, butter and Liquid Smoke.
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Add the Tabasco Sauce and stir to blend.
- This can be used as an overnight marinade for chicken breasts (or any other pieces you wish) then baked or grilled.
- If grilling, reserve some of the sauce for a basting sauce (or make a little extra).