1/2 Photos of Mustard and Thyme Baron of Beef Au Jus
24 hrs 6 mins
Baron-Of-Beef which is also called top round is a great alternative to the more expensive cuts of roasts. Plan ahead the roast needs to be refrigerated overnight then brought down to almost room temperature before roasting. If you are serving a large number of guests I strongly suggest to purchase 2,3 or even 4 (3-pound roasts) and cook them all together in a larger roasting pan, the larger-size top rounds tend not to be as good in flavor or tenderness, also increase the beef broth to 8 cups or even a little more for multiple roasts, do not place the roasts on a rack, set them directly in the roasting pan. Remember, leave the roast out and bring down to almost room temperature before roasting, this is an important step, even MORE important for less expensive cuts meat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The evening before; slice small slits all over the roast then stuff with the garlic clove halves.
- 2Rub the roast all over with oil, then brush the top and sides of the roast with the mustard, then sprinkle with thyme and black pepper.
- 3Place into a shallow roasting pan, do not use a rack set directly on the pan (if any fat on the roast place it fatty-side up in the pan).
- 4Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24 hours or up to 2 days (careful not to remove the mustard mixture on the roast with the plastic wrap).
- 5The following day remove the roast from the fridge, uncover and discard plastic wrap.
- 6Let sit out on the counter to bring down to room temperature (this might take a couple hours or more, it is an IMPORTANT step to relax the meat fibers to create a more tender juicy roast).
- 7Set oven to 450°F.
- 8Pour 1 cup beef broth into the roasting pan.
- 9Roast uncovered for 20 minutes in a preheated 450°F oven.
- 10After 20 minutes of cooking reduce the heat down to 325°F.
- 11Cook roast until desired doneness (please keep in mind, these times are for a 3-pound roast, and after the 20 minutes cooking time at 450¹F, you will need to adjust cooking time for larger roasts!).
- 12For a rare roast 50 minutes more cooking time.
- 13For medium-rare 60 minutes more cooking time -- 70 minutes for medium and 80 minutes for medium-well.
- 14When the roast is cooked remove from the pan and set on a plate; tent with foil to prevent drying out.
- 15To make the Jus set the roasting pan on stove top over medium heat.
- 16Add in 3 cups beef stock, using a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan to release the browned bits, gently simmer for 4-5 minutes (adjust the heat downwards so that the Jus maintains a gentle simmer.
- 17Using an electric knife (if you have one) or a sharp carving knife slice the roast as thinly as possible and serve with the au Jus.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mustard and Thyme Baron of Beef Au Jus
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.3 mg
- Sodium 591.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 39.2 g