Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from Food & Wine, June 2009. Per the website, "Chef Nate Appleman of A16 and SPQR restaurants in San Francisco swears by coating vegetables with a mayonnaise-based marinade; it creates a beautifully blistered crust when grilled. Here he offers a marinade for asparagus that is also fabulous on broccoli and fennel." Prep time is actually marinating time. NOTE: This is VERY lemony, so if that's not your thing, make sure you decrease the amount of lemon juice in the marinade.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grainy mustard
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow dish, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the spears are tender and lightly blistered in spots, about 6 minutes. Serve the asparagus hot or at room temperature.