Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe from Food & Wine, June 2009. Per the website, "Chef Nate Appleman of A16 and SPQR restaurants in San Francisco swears by coating vegetables with a mayonnaise-based marinade; it creates a beautifully blistered crust when grilled. Here he offers a marinade for asparagus that is also fabulous on broccoli and fennel." Prep time is actually marinating time. NOTE: This is VERY lemony, so if that's not your thing, make sure you decrease the amount of lemon juice in the marinade.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grainy mustard
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
- In a shallow dish, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the spears are tender and lightly blistered in spots, about 6 minutes. Serve the asparagus hot or at room temperature.
I don't have a grill and didn't have enough time to marinate it, but it still turned out great. I sauteed the asparagus in the mixture yummy.
We love asparagus, especially love grilled asparagus, and this was a great new way to prepare it. It was easy to prep and the glaze was really flavorful. The lemony zing really came through. I served with your Gourmet Horseradish Hamburgers 390758. Thanks for sharing! Made for the Voracious Vagabonds, ZWT6.
I'm a pretty daring eatter, at least within the limits of my allergies. My husband on the other hand likes the things he likes and doesn't want to try new things. I made some plain asparagus for him to eat while everyone else tried this recipe. The plain stuff was left at the end of the meal...we ALL feel in love with the glazed. Really glad I bought the big bottle of grainy mustard, as this is a new one for the rotation. Thanks so much for sharing! Made for ZWT6 Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens