Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Don't let the name throw you off--these are hauntingly good cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In bowl, cream Crisco and brown sugar. Beat in molasses and egg.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, mustard, cardamom, salt and cloves.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and then roll in additional sugar.
- Bake at 375°F till surface cracks or about 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack completely.
grandma2969, this is the second time I've made these, love um!! I have no idea what I did in 07 but they turned out like you said they would this time. I added the crystalized ginger, and fresh grated ginger this time but it still didn't have the bite I was looking for....they are delicious even without the extra zip. I took pix again and I hope others try your recipe as they don't know what they're missing!!! yuuummmmm!!