Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These sound a bit odd but are SO yummy. My family have been serving these for years at BBQs and I can't believe this hasn't already been suggested as a recipe! Anyway, give it a try and, hopefully, you'll love it as much as we do! I've said it serves 4 (2 a piece), but in my family this would only serve 2!
- 2 ripe bananas (you may need less depending on their size)
- 8 slices smoked streaky bacon (it needs to be streaky)
- Skin the bananas, cut the ends off and slice into approximately 4 pieces (you ideally need to cut them to the approximate width of your bacon, so depending on the size of your bananas you could get more or less slices).
- Wrap each slice of banana in one piece of streaky bacon. Hold in place with a cocktail stick.
- BBQ until bacon is cooked through (we like ours well cooked so the bacon is crispy).
Hubby looked at me sideways when I bought these out for a tapas stype lunch for guests. All quizzical looks disappeared as fast once they had tried these though. What a HIT ! The flavours work unexpectedly well together and compliment each other in a bizaare but very tasty way. I initially kept my plate back so that I could take a photo first and when I rejoined our guests DH was disappointed to find that it was my portion and not seconds LOL. Please see my rating system: 5 EXCELLENT stars for a recipe where you have no idea what to expect but are pleasantly surprised to find a taste combination that works so well. Everyone voted for a return showing on out tapas table soonest... Thanks !
Absolutely fantastic. These were served at cocktail parties in Haiti a lot, the flavor combination is wonderful. salty with sweet and both fit like a hand in glove.
mmmmmmmm not too sure about this one! better with chops.