Recipe by English_Rose
A beautiful appetizer, in a delicious sauce, loved throughout Europe. Buy small mussels so they are the same size as the pasta. Aby short pasta such as ditaloni or short penne ca be used.
- 11 ounces penne
- 2 1⁄2 lbs mussels
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, leaves
- 7 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the mussels. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the parsley.
- Heat half the butter with the oil, then add the garlic and mussels.
- Pour in the wine, season, cover and cook over a high heat until the mussels open.
- Drain the mussels, keeping the cooking liquid. Remove the mussels from the shells, and discard the shells and any that haven't opened.
- Heat the remaining butter in a pan, and add the mussel juices and the cream.
- Cook gently to reduce to a rich, creamy consistency. Then add the mussels and parsley.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, then drain and add to the sauce. Toss together over a low heat and serve.