From the Food network's kitchen cookbook "Making it Easy." I took this new cookbook out of the library after browsing so many great sounding recipes. I am posting here since I only have the book for a short while. Serve with a warm crusty bread to mop up the sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, roughly chopped
- 1 orange
- 1 cup dry white wine, can use dry white vermouth
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 5 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 cups fresh basil, slighly heaping, roughly chopped
- 1Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring until the garlic is golden, 3-4 minutes.
- 2Add the tomatoes and cook until almost dry, about 3 minutes.
- 3Use a swivel peeler to peel off 2 long strips of zest from the orange and add them to the pot.
- 4Squeeze the orange's juice into the tomatoes, then stir in the wine or vermouth and the saffron.
- 5Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a rapid boil.
- 6Add mussels. Cover and cook, shaking the pot once or twice, just until they finally begin to open, about 2 minutes more.
- 7Spoon the mussels into large warm serving bowls and ladle some of the broth over each serving.
- 8Discard any mussels that didn't open.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mussels With Tomatoes, Basil and Saffron
Serving Size: 1 (937 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 850.0
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 159.1 mg
- Sodium 1642.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 70.9 g