Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy and great tasting way to cook mussels.
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion, finely
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- Scrub mussels under cold water; pull off hairy beards.
- Discard any that do not close when tapped. Set aside.
- In large non-stick saucepan, heat oil; saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine, basil and oregano; cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels fully open, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Discard any that do not open.
- Arrange mussels in bowls; pour sauce over top.