Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe was in the Bon Appetit RSVP section in the October 1997 magazine. It's from The Santa Fe Cafe, Seattle, WA.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and ginger; saute until garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in coconut milk, curry paste, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and salt.
- Simmer 4 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
- Transfer mixture to serving bowl.
- Garnish with 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
- This recipe yields 6 servings as a first course.
- Comments: Be sure to accompany this with plenty of crusty bread to soak up the rich broth.