Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a variation of a classic French recipe. Easy and very good. Found the original recipe in one of Craig Claiborne's cookbooks. CAUTION! Work twice as good as oysters on men. NATURAL VIAGRA!!!!
- 3 lbs mussels (cleaned)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons leeks (finely chopped white parts only)
- 3 tablespoons onions (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Scrub the mussels thoroughly, discard any open ones and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a kettle and add the leeks, onions, garlic and shallots.
- Cook for about 1 minute and then add the Saffron.
- Cook about 2 minutes, stirring, and add the vinegar and mussels.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cover tightly.
- Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the parsley and cream and cover.
- Cook about 5 minutes, or until the mussels open.
- Serve in hot soup bowls with warm crusty bread for sopping up the sauce.