Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
adapted from gourmet 12/06, i made this tonite and loved it. very quick and easy, this makes an appy for 6-8 or a main course for me ( just kidding, sort of). serve this with lots of french bread, and with spoons for the sauce.
- 4 lbs mussels, cultivated
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron thread
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- in a heavy pot with a lid heat olive oil.
- add onions, saffron, salt, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, 5-10 minutes.
- add wine and bring to a boil.
- stir in cream, pepper and mussels.
- cook, covered, until mussels start to open, 6-8 minutes.
- discard any unopened mussels, then stir parsley into finished dish.
Have made this several times and fall in love with it again each time. I am planning on it for dinner tomorrow at the request of the Wife.
Excellent mussell recipe! Great to serve to guests! I served over fresh pasta.
Nice, nice, Chia!! Usually I make mussels without a recipe, but I thought, tonight, well, there are so many recipes on F.com, why not actually choose one ...?! I liked yours because I wanted to use wine and cream. And, surprise, I did have the precious saffron!! Lovely, with an artisanal bread, and a fancy green salad as starter. I had 2 lbs of mussels (whole, in shell, as we are only 2 diners)). I would like to advise that, is you are using the full 4 lbs, maybe increase the wine and cream to 1 1/2 cups each. Anyway, thanks for a great main meal! It is high summer here in South Africa, and we are not in the mood for heavy red meat main dishes! Thanks!!!