Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sherry is rarely used in recipes other than for desserts. Here is way to use it in a savory dish.
- 2 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, best quality
- 1⁄2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 5 slices prosciutto, thin and diced (or if you have access to it use, Spanish jambon)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- Over medium high heat, in a large pot with a lid, cook the onion (uncovered) and celery in the oil until the onions are soft (about three minutes).
- Add the prosciutto, wine and sherry and bring to the boil.
- Add the mussels and cover. Let boil for one minute, shaking the pan once or twice to distribute the mussels, then when all the mussels have opened (discard any which don’t open) remove and serve.