Recipe by KitchenManiac
This is a simple whipup which i make when mussels are cheap at the supermarkets. Smells great too.
- 4 lbs mussels
- 2 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic, halved and crushed
- 4 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 cup basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and scrape the mussels.
- Discard any open ones.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add shallots, garlic, lemongrass and fish sauce.
- Let this simmer 30min, bring water to boil, add mussels.
- Cover and boil for five minutes over high heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with basil leaves.
- Cover and cook a few minutes more before removing from the heat.
- Discard any mussels which have not opened during cooking.