- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 5 dozen mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- crusty French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add mussels and bay leaf; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and next 4 ingredients, and cook 1 minute.
- Add wine; cover and cook 3 minutes or until mussels open.
- Discard any unopened mussels. Cool completely. Chill until serving. Serve with French bread.