Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 kg cleaned mussels
- 14 ounces dry white wine
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 ounce sultana
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 small apple
- 5 ounces double cream
- Put the mussels in a saucepan with the wine and place over a high heat.
- Bring to the boil and cook, stirring, until all the mussels have opened.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a jug through a fine sieve.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened fully.
- Return the mussels in their shells to the pan.
- Cover and set aside.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan.
- Add the carrot and onion and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes or until softened but not browned.
- Add the sultanas, curry powder, and tomato puree.
- Cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Gradually stir in the strained mussel liquid.
- Peel the apple, cut it into wedges and add to the sauce.
- Simmer gently for five minutes.
- Add the cream.
- Pour the sauce over the mussels and heat through gently.
- Serve at once with some crusty bread to mop up the juices.