Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe while digging through some cookbooks I had laying around. Made it and it is fantastic!!! Serve with crusty bread and you've got yourself a meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, plus
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 2 inches lime peel, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 4 lbs fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In large stockpot, saute shallots and ginger for 5 minutes.
- Add curry, saute 2 minutes.
- Add wine, simmer 4 minutes.
- Add clam juice, lime zest, and juice, simmer 4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover pot, and steam 4 minutes, or until all or most mussels are open.
- With slotted spoon, remove mussels and place into 4 bowls.
- Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Add cilantro to broth, cook for 30 seconds, then spoon over mussels into bowls.
This is from Food & Wine 2001 and is called Mussels in Coconut-Curry Broth. That recipe adds 1 small fresh chile, seeded and minced and it is added in step one with the shallots and ginger. I was just about to post the recipe myself. Thanks!
This was very tasty and looked beautiful (a welcome change from white wine or tomato-based!). We used malaysian curry powder and will probably add a bit more next time (1.5 tbs) and additional coconut milk, which we really like.